1. 24 Sep, 2012 1 commit
    • Eric Eide's avatar
      Replace license symbols with {{{ }}}-enclosed license blocks. · 6df609a9
      Eric Eide authored
      This commit is intended to makes the license status of Emulab and
      ProtoGENI source files more clear.  It replaces license symbols like
      "EMULAB-COPYRIGHT" and "GENIPUBLIC-COPYRIGHT" with {{{ }}}-delimited
      blocks that contain actual license statements.
      
      This change was driven by the fact that today, most people acquire and
      track Emulab and ProtoGENI sources via git.
      
      Before the Emulab source code was kept in git, the Flux Research Group
      at the University of Utah would roll distributions by making tar
      files.  As part of that process, the Flux Group would replace the
      license symbols in the source files with actual license statements.
      
      When the Flux Group moved to git, people outside of the group started
      to see the source files with the "unexpanded" symbols.  This meant
      that people acquired source files without actual license statements in
      them.  All the relevant files had Utah *copyright* statements in them,
      but without the expanded *license* statements, the licensing status of
      the source files was unclear.
      
      This commit is intended to clear up that confusion.
      
      Most Utah-copyrighted files in the Emulab source tree are distributed
      under the terms of the Affero GNU General Public License, version 3
      (AGPLv3).
      
      Most Utah-copyrighted files related to ProtoGENI are distributed under
      the terms of the GENI Public License, which is a BSD-like open-source
      license.
      
      Some Utah-copyrighted files in the Emulab source tree are distributed
      under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License, version 2.1
      (LGPL).
      6df609a9
  2. 21 Jul, 2008 1 commit
  3. 17 Aug, 2005 1 commit
    • Leigh Stoller's avatar
      The Emulab Knowledge Base! · 6f08c442
      Leigh Stoller authored
      Okay, I implemented a primitive Knowledge Base! The current contents are
      *all* the existing FAQ entries, which I entered manually. Here are the
      details.
      
      * My reason for doing this is that we need something very simple. The wiki
        is too much of a barrier, and its search capabilities are pathetic.
      
      * The search page for the Knowledge Base is:
      
      	https://www.emulab.net/kb-search.php3
      
        Fairly primitive keyword search. Turns out that mysql 4.0 has a bunch for
        really good text searching functions built in, but we run 3.23 ... so I
        had to roll it myself. So, its a simple keyword (space or comma
        separated) search, no regular expressions.
      
      * Each DB record has a "faq_entry" flag, so creating the current FAQ on the
        fly from the DB is easy. See:
      
      	https://www.emulab.net/kb-faq.php3
      
      * In reddot mode, you can add new KB entries:
      
      	https://www.emulab.net/kb-manage.php3
      
        The form is fairly obvious but here are details anyway:
      
          Section Name: Choose an existing title, or make up a new one.
          Title:        The title of the KB (or FAQ) entry.
          Faq Entry:    Check this box if the new entry should show up in the FAQ.
          X Ref Tag:    A token so you can refer to other KB entries by name,
                        instead of by its index. Within the KB entry you would
                        write: <a href=kb-show.php3?xref_tag=sometag>
          Body:         Whatever you like. I took the existing FAQ entries and
                        stuck them with no changes except for the xref_tag
                        mentioned about (since some entries referenced other
                        entries).
      
      * Once you click on sumbit, you will see the entry as it will appear to
        users, along with a submenu to Modify/Delete/Add entries. You can modify
        the current entry from that menu. Mere users do not see this menu, only
        when in reddot mode.
      
      * The intent here is that we can generate new entries really easy, right
        from email if you like (with appropriate <pre> or <xmp> tags around it).
      
      * I have added sql/knowlbase-create.sql and a makefile target to
        generate that file when creating a distribution. I also added a section
        to install/boss-install to insert the entries into the new DB.
      
      * I hooked the search function into the existing Search Documentation link.
        We know search both the Knowledge Base *and* the Documentation on doc
        searches. This probably needs a little more work to get right.
      
      * I changed a lot of faq links to be more consistent and to reference
        the proper xref_tags (#swapping instead of #UTT-34).
      6f08c442
  4. 07 Jul, 2002 1 commit
  5. 26 Jun, 2001 1 commit
  6. 18 Apr, 2001 2 commits