1. 20 Oct, 2006 1 commit
    • Mike Hibler's avatar
      Wow, this should make me look important! · afa5e919
      Mike Hibler authored
      Two-day boondoggle to support "/scratch", an optional large, shared filesystem
      for users.  To do this, I needed to find all the instances where /proj is used
      and behave accordingly.  The boondoggle part was the decision to gather up all
      the hardwired instances of shared directory names ("/proj", "/users", etc.)
      so that they are set in a common place (via unexposed configure variables).
      This is a boondoggle because:
      
      1. I didn't change the client-side scripts.  They need a different mechanism
         (e.g., tmcd) to get the info, configure is the wrong way.
      
      2. Even if I had done #1 it is likely--no, certain--that something would
         fail if you tried to rename "/proj" to be "/mike".  These names are just
         too ingrained.
      
      3. We may not even use "/scratch" as it turns out.
      
      Note, I also didn't fix any of the .html documentation.  Anyway, it is done.
      To maintain my illusion in the future you should:
      
      1. Have perl scripts include "use libtestbed" and use the defined PROJROOT(),
         et.al. functions where possible.  If not possible, make sure they run
         through configure and use @PROJROOT_DIR@, etc.
      
      2. Use the configure method for python, C, php and other languages.
      
      3. There are perl (TBValidUserDir) and php (VALIDUSERPATH) functions which
         you should call to determine if an NS, template parameter, tarball or
         other file are in "an acceptable location."  Use these functions where
         possible.  They know about the optional "scratch" filesystem.  Note that
         the perl function is over-engineered to handles cases that don't occur
         in nature.
      afa5e919
  2. 24 Jun, 2005 1 commit
  3. 09 Jun, 2005 1 commit
  4. 08 Oct, 2004 1 commit
    • Timothy Stack's avatar
      · ed8262c1
      Timothy Stack authored
      Made a pass over tar file related things:
      
      	* os/install-tarfile: Added support for bzip2 compressed files and
      	fixed the '.tgz' regex (it detected '.tar.tgz' before).  Also
      	binmode'd some file handles to squelch a warning on Redhat 9.
      
      	* tbsetup/fetchtar.proxy.in: Added 'https' as a valid protocol for
      	URLs and 'tar.bz2' as a valid extension.  Changed the wget call to
      	do 'timestamping', which means it should only download files that
      	have changed since the last download.
      
      	* tbsetup/tarfiles_setup.in: More 'https' and '.tar.bz2' stuff.
      	When downloading tarballs, copy the file name extension from the
      	URL onto the local file name so 'install-tarfile' can figure out
      	how to decompress it properly.
      
      	* tbsetup/ns2ir/tb_compat.tcl.in: Added a bunch of checks to the
      	tb-set-node-tarfiles function.
      
      	* www/faq.html, www/tutorial/nscommands.html,
      	www/tutorial/tutorial.html: Flesh out and clean up tarfile related
      	documentation.  Also added anchors for the individual functions so
      	you can link to them from other pages.
      ed8262c1
  5. 21 Apr, 2004 1 commit
  6. 01 Dec, 2003 1 commit
    • Robert Ricci's avatar
      New scripts: tarfiles_setup, fetchtar.proxy, and webtarfiles_setup . · c0c6547c
      Robert Ricci authored
      The idea is to give us hooks for grabbing experimenters' tarballs (and
      RPMs) from locations other than files on ops. Mainly, to remove
      another dependance on users having shells on ops.
      
      tarfiles_setup supports fetching files from http and ftp URLs right
      now, through wget. It places them into the experiment directory, so
      that they'll go away when the experiment is terminated, and the rest
      of the chain (ie. downloading to clients and os_setup's checks)
      remains unchaged.  It is now tarfiles_setup's job to copy tarballs and
      RPMs from the virt_nodes table to the nodes table for allocated nodes.
      This way, it can translate URLs into the local filenames it
      constructs. It get invoked from tbswap.
      
      Does the actual fetching over on ops, running as the user, with
      fetchtar.proxy.
      
      Should be idempotent, so we should be able to give the user a button
      to run webtarfiles_setup (none exists yet) yet to 'freshen' their
      tarballs. (We'd also have to somehow let the experiment's nodes know
      they need to re-fetch their tarballs.)
      
      One funny side effect of this is that the separator in
      virt_nodes.tarfiles is now ';' instead of ':' like nodes.tarballs,
      since we can now put URLs in the former. Making these consistent is a
      project for another day.
      c0c6547c