1. 11 Oct, 2010 1 commit
    • Leigh Stoller's avatar
      Work on an optimization to the perl code. Maybe you have noticed, but · 92f83e48
      Leigh Stoller authored
      starting any one of our scripts can take a second or two. That time is
      spent including and compiling 10000s of thousands of lines of perl
      code, both from our libraries and from the perl libraries.
      
      Mostly this is just a maintenance thing; we just never thought about
      it much and we have a lot more code these days.
      
      So I have done two things.
      
      1) I have used SelfLoader() on some of our biggest perl modules.
         SelfLoader delays compilation until code is used. This is not as
         good as AutoLoader() though, and so I did it with just a few 
         modules (the biggest ones).
      
      2) Mostly I reorganized things:
      
        a) Split libdb into an EmulabConstants module and all the rest of
           the code, which is slowly getting phased out.
      
        b) Move little things around to avoid including libdb or Experiment
           (the biggest files).
      
        c) Change "use foo" in many places to a "require foo" in the
           function that actually uses that module. This was really a big
           win cause we have dozens of cases where we would include a
           module, but use it in only one place and typically not all.
      
      Most things are now starting up in 1/3 the time. I am hoping this will
      help to reduce the load spiking we see on boss, and also help with the
      upcoming Geni tutorial (which kill boss last time).
      92f83e48
  2. 26 Nov, 2007 1 commit
  3. 08 Nov, 2007 1 commit
  4. 06 Nov, 2007 1 commit
    • Leigh Stoller's avatar
      This started out as a simple change to turn the datastore into a CVS · c1cff09b
      Leigh Stoller authored
      sandbox, and that I did. It falls back to the older archive when
      the template is older then CVS repos.
      
      But along the way I got annoyed with the fact that template instantiation
      does not provide a logfile to the web interface. The reason is that
      the current logfile stuff is very experiment centric; there has to be an
      experiment and an attached logfile. An instance does not have an experiment
      until really late in the game so the code was just not bothering.
      
      Anyway, I've started to generalize the logfile stuff with a new table
      and the approach that a logfile is named by a random key, and if you
      know the key you can look at the logfile in the web (since without an
      experiment it is hard to do permission checks unless we make logfiles
      uid/gid owned, and I did not want to do that.
      c1cff09b
  5. 21 Sep, 2007 1 commit
    • Leigh Stoller's avatar
      Two somewhat related template changes. · 217de8ab
      Leigh Stoller authored
      * Reorg the CVS repo so that records and setup are toplevel modules in
        the repo, instead of directories in a single module named by the
        guid (which is redundant and annoying).
      
      * Some changes to the spewlog stuff. It used to handle only
        experiments, but I really wanted it to handle template create and
        modify. Took a bunch of small changes to a lot of places to make
        this work correctly, but it was worth it.
      
        There are some changes I made that I can retrofit to the other spew
        pages to make it look a little nicer at the top of the page, to use
        less space.
      217de8ab
  6. 05 May, 2006 1 commit
  7. 02 Nov, 2005 1 commit
  8. 11 Jul, 2002 1 commit
    • Leigh Stoller's avatar
      A bunch of logfile changes. Logs are now saved in the experiment · 51bc0de4
      Leigh Stoller authored
      directory so that they can be viewed later after the operation is
      complete. I've also cleaned up the mechanism for determining when
      a log file is active (for the web spew) by using another slot in the
      experiments table, and added some libdb routines to manage that slot.
      At present just the last (or latest) log can be viewed after the fact,
      but we can change that later if think its really necessary. At the
      same time, make it possible for admin types to view the log files for
      other peoples expierments; spew is setuid, but flips back after
      opening the file (does usual checks too). I've also incorporated the
      log changes into the batch daemon, so you can view the last batch log
      too, although I have not tested that yet!
      51bc0de4
  9. 07 Jul, 2002 1 commit
  10. 08 May, 2002 1 commit
  11. 02 Apr, 2002 1 commit
    • Leigh Stoller's avatar
      Ah, the things I do. Added web page and backend script to scroll the · 07323144
      Leigh Stoller authored
      experiment log file to the user as it gets generated. The web page
      does not redraw, it just never exits until the backend sees that the
      experiement transition is done, and then it exists, which terminates
      the script. I added a DB field to hold the logfile name and some
      routines in libdb, with the idea that this might be more generally
      useful at some point. Next time you create an experiment, look for the
      last sentence, and click on "realtime".
      07323144