1. 11 Oct, 2010 1 commit
    • Leigh B Stoller's avatar
      Work on an optimization to the perl code. Maybe you have noticed, but · 92f83e48
      Leigh B Stoller authored
      starting any one of our scripts can take a second or two. That time is
      spent including and compiling 10000s of thousands of lines of perl
      code, both from our libraries and from the perl libraries.
      
      Mostly this is just a maintenance thing; we just never thought about
      it much and we have a lot more code these days.
      
      So I have done two things.
      
      1) I have used SelfLoader() on some of our biggest perl modules.
         SelfLoader delays compilation until code is used. This is not as
         good as AutoLoader() though, and so I did it with just a few 
         modules (the biggest ones).
      
      2) Mostly I reorganized things:
      
        a) Split libdb into an EmulabConstants module and all the rest of
           the code, which is slowly getting phased out.
      
        b) Move little things around to avoid including libdb or Experiment
           (the biggest files).
      
        c) Change "use foo" in many places to a "require foo" in the
           function that actually uses that module. This was really a big
           win cause we have dozens of cases where we would include a
           module, but use it in only one place and typically not all.
      
      Most things are now starting up in 1/3 the time. I am hoping this will
      help to reduce the load spiking we see on boss, and also help with the
      upcoming Geni tutorial (which kill boss last time).
      92f83e48
  2. 26 Nov, 2007 1 commit
  3. 06 Nov, 2007 1 commit
    • Leigh B. Stoller's avatar
      This started out as a simple change to turn the datastore into a CVS · c1cff09b
      Leigh B. Stoller authored
      sandbox, and that I did. It falls back to the older archive when
      the template is older then CVS repos.
      
      But along the way I got annoyed with the fact that template instantiation
      does not provide a logfile to the web interface. The reason is that
      the current logfile stuff is very experiment centric; there has to be an
      experiment and an attached logfile. An instance does not have an experiment
      until really late in the game so the code was just not bothering.
      
      Anyway, I've started to generalize the logfile stuff with a new table
      and the approach that a logfile is named by a random key, and if you
      know the key you can look at the logfile in the web (since without an
      experiment it is hard to do permission checks unless we make logfiles
      uid/gid owned, and I did not want to do that.
      c1cff09b