1. 11 Feb, 2004 2 commits
  2. 07 Dec, 2003 1 commit
  3. 30 Sep, 2003 1 commit
    • Leigh B. Stoller's avatar
      Up to now we have had two state variables associated with an experiment, · 4269dad1
      Leigh B. Stoller authored
      plus a lock field. The lock field was a simple "experiment locked, go away"
      slot that is easy to use when you do not care about the actual state that
      an experiment is in, just that it is in "transition" and should not be
      messed with.
      
      The other two state variables are "state" and "batchstate". The former
      (state) is the original variable that Chris added, and was used by the tb*
      scripts to make sure that the experiment was in the state each particular
      script wanted them to be in. But over time (and with the addition of so
      much wrapper goo around them), "state" has leaked out all over the place to
      determine what operations on an experiment are allowed, and if/when it
      should be displayed in various web pages. There are a set of transition
      states in addition to the usual "active", "swapped", etc like "swapping"
      that make testing state a pain in the butt.
      
      I added the other state variable ("batchstate") when I did the batch
      system, obviously! It was intended as a wrapper state to control access to
      the batch queue, and to prevent batch experiments from being messed with
      except when it was really okay (for example, its okay to terminate a
      swapped out batch experiment, but not a swapped in batch experiment since
      that would confuse the batch daemon). There are fewer of these states, plus
      one additional state for "modifying" experiments.
      
      So what I have done is change the system to use "batchstate" for all
      experiments to control entry into the swap system, from the web interface,
      from the command line, and from the batch daemon. The other state variable
      still exists, and will be brutally pushed back under the surface until its
      just a vague memory, used only by the original tb* scripts. This will
      happen over time, and the "batchstate" variable will be renamed once I am
      convinced that this was the right thing to do and that my changes actually
      work as intended.
      
      Only people who have bothered to read this far will know that I also added
      the ability to cancel experiment swapin in progress. For that I am using
      the "canceled" flag (ah, this one was named properly from the start!), and
      I test that at various times in assign_wrapper and tbswap. A minor downside
      right now is that a canceled swapin looks too much like a failed swapin,
      and so tbops gets email about it. I'll fix that at some point (sometime
      after the boss complains).
      
      I also cleaned up various bits of code, replacing direct calls to exec
      with calls to the recently improved SUEXEC interface. This removes
      some cruft from each script that calls an external script.
      
      Cleaned up modifyexp.ph3 quite a bit, reformatting and indenting.
      Also fixed to not run the parser directly! This was very wrong; should
      call nscheck instead. Changed to use "nobody" group instead of group
      flux (made the same change in nscheck).
      
      There is a script in the sql directory called newstates.pl. It needs
      to be run to initialize the batchstate slot of the experiments table
      for all existing experiments.
      4269dad1
  4. 30 Jun, 2003 1 commit
    • Leigh B. Stoller's avatar
      Make the new parser live on mini. New parser ssh'es over to ops to · 2202fc5a
      Leigh B. Stoller authored
      do the actual parse. The parser now spits out XML instead of DB
      queries, and the wrapper on boss converts that to DB insertions after
      verification. There are some makefile changes as well to install the
      new parser on ops via NFS, since otherwise the parser could
      intolerably out of date on ops!
      2202fc5a
  5. 28 Apr, 2003 1 commit
  6. 04 Mar, 2003 1 commit
  7. 07 Jul, 2002 1 commit
  8. 14 Feb, 2002 1 commit
    • Leigh B. Stoller's avatar
      Respond to Shashi's message that users can cause the parser to go into · e45c4905
      Leigh B. Stoller authored
      an infinite loop rather easily via the NS file TCL hooks. Added a
      perl wrapper around parse.tcl called parse-ns, which forks a child to
      run the parser. The parser is invoked "nice +10" and the CPU limit for
      the child is set to 60 seconds, which should be enough for any parse.
      If the limit is exceeded, send email to tbops since this indicates a
      big problem or a user being dumb/malicious.
      e45c4905
  9. 20 Jun, 2001 1 commit
  10. 12 Apr, 2001 1 commit